Protecting your data is increasingly important in today’s environment of data breaches.
As part of the DAKCS SOC 2 attestation, we have implemented the security requirements to prevent, detect, contain, and correct any HIPAA security violations.
For the medical collection industry, validating the business agreements we sign with an audited certification shows that we are committed to protecting your data, your clients’ data, and the consumer’s data.
The security standards of HIPAA consist of a set of complex guidelines built to ensure the protection of Personal Health Information or PHI.
These guidelines include secure access control to patient information and medical records, tracked document actions, the ability to block sensitive data and ensure the staff are appropriately educated on the handling, storing, retrieving, and sending of electronic PHI (ePHI), and confidential, sensitive information.
Here are 11 benefits HIPAA plays in healthcare collections:
- Fosters a culture of compliance and common understanding of “the right way” to handle patient information.
- Ensures that every member of an organization understands the practices necessary to protect both the privacy and security of patients’ PHI creating a “human firewall” against a data breach.
- Teaches staff that protecting patients’ PHI is just another aspect of keeping patients safe, all while promoting trust with your clients.
- Improves patient satisfaction and increases your HCAHPS (Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems) score.
- Eliminates providers’ need to choose between speed of communication and legal risk by sharing PHI in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Reduces executive and organizational liability.
- Protects the organization and staff from personal liability. Staff training is required by law.
- Allows for positive differentiation among competitors. HIPAA compliant practices are seen as more secure as related to patient information.
- Helps build a foundation for future technology implementations.
- Proactively helps organizations avoid expensive add-on security measures.
- Reduces medical errors, increases patient satisfaction and trust, improves quality of care, and creates operational efficiencies.
Using DAKCS software solutions can help your company protect ePHI. Having said that, there is always more your office can do to protect sensitive data.
We recommend conducting ongoing risk analyses. A proper risk analysis should identify any current or potential risks to the confidentiality and integrity of electronic protected health information (ePHI).
- Identify the scope of your analysis
- Collect data
- Identify and document potential threats and vulnerabilities
- Assess current security measures
- Determine likelihood of a threat occurrence
- Establish potential impact of a threat occurrence
- Analyze level of risk
- Finalize your documentation
- Periodically review and update your risk assessment
Data security is an ongoing process that an organization lives and breathes.
Toward this end, DAKCS has implemented security controls to reduce risks and vulnerabilities. Complying with HIPAA Safeguards ensures that all personal health information is protected.
Compliance and security are important elements of the #DAKCSdifference. Continue to explore our DAKCS website and company. Find out about the important compliance and security steps DAKCS has taken as we continually work to stay relevant and protect your business.