System Backups provide your last defense should disaster strike. You should be performing a system backup daily to ensure that critical data is saved should a catastrophic system failure occur. DAKCS provides software to automate and simplify the process however we also recommend these simple steps to ensure that your recovery options are there when you need them.
- Invest in a minimum of a one month tape rotation with a separate backup tape for every business day in the month.
- In addition to daily backups, setup a schedule of incremental complete system backups weekly or bi-monthly.
- Keep a rotation set of tapes offsite. If you experience a catastrophic event at the office, you want to make certain that the backups are safe.
- Have your backup tapes periodically verified. There are services that will perform test restores to ensure that the backup data is good.
- Develop a written policy and procedure for your backup process, including how tapes will be rotated and stored. Make sure you take into consideration security concerns. REMEMBER, this is your data, you need to protect it.
- Check your backup policies and procedures on a regular basis to make sure that you’re properly mitigating your risks and updating your system as the data increases.
If you will follow these simple steps you will have the ability to recover should the unthinkable happen. For more information or help with your backups, please contact DAKCS support.